Defining an Outstanding Woman Faculty Member
One who is a successful, appreciated mentor and role model with a record of scholarly endeavors, demonstrable teaching expertise, strong leadership as demonstrated by administrative skills and professional accomplishments, a history of helping develop careers for other women, Women’s Caucus involvement, and a record of clinical or research excellence (if applicable). Emphasis will be placed on leadership and mentoring.
A nomination statement and the nominee’s CV must be submitted to Brenda Burks (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Friday, February 24. The nomination should be no more than a 400 word statement describing how the nominee meets the criteria for Outstanding Woman Faculty. Nominations should address the candidate’s scholarly and mentoring contributions, leadership ability, and service to UAMS and the community. Your nomination should include global details about how the candidate has distinguished herself in science, education, and/or her field of practice. How has she encouraged the professional growth of women faculty? Describe why you think this woman is a leader and how she has assisted and encouraged the career development of junior faculty. Be specific in your nomination.
Please note that the nominating committee will narrow the nominee pool to 5 and will inform the nominee and their chair of this honor.
Past Outstanding Woman Award Recipients
The Outstanding Woman Faculty Award began in 2001 to reward women of academic achievement who mentor and encourage junior women in medicine and science.
- Debra Fiser, M.D., Professor, Department of Pediatrics (2001)
- Teresita Angtuaco, M.D., Professor, Department of Radiology (2002)
- Laura Hutchins, M.D., Professor of Medicine (2003)
- Jeanne K. Heard, M.D., Ph.D., FACP, Provost & Chief Academic Officer (2004)
- Jeanne Wei, M.D., Ph.D., Vice-Chair and Professor of Geriatrics (2005)
- Cindy Kane, Ph.D., Professor, Neurobiology and Developmental Sciences (2006)
- Jeannette M. Shorey II, M.D., Associate Dean, CME & Faculty Affairs (2007)
- Linda L. M. Worley, M.D., Professor, Psychiatry (2008)
- Gwen Childs, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Neurobiology and Developmental Science (2009)
- Mary Aitken, M.D., MPH, Professor, Pediatrics (2010)
- Stacie Jones, M.D., Pediatrics (2011)
- Dana Gaddy, Ph.D., Physiology and Biophysics (2012)
- Sara Tariq, M.D., Internal Medicine (2013)
- Carmelita Pablo, M.D., Anesthesiology (2014)
- Stephanie Gardner, Pharm.D., Ed.D., College of Pharmacy (2014)
- Laura James, M.D., College of Medicine (2015)
- Donna Gullette, Ph.D., APRN, College of Nursing (2016)
- Nicki L. Hilliard, Pharm.D., College of Pharmacy (2017)