Faculty members in an eligible class who are at least 62 years old and meet the program’s requirements may participate in the Phased Retirement Program. Participants are able to reduce their workload with continued participation in medical, dental and other UAMS-sponsored benefits available to full-time faculty.
To participate in this program, the faculty member must agree to reduce their workload to 50-80 percent for a period of 12-36 months (“phased retirement period”). At the end of the phased retirement period, the participant must separate (retire) from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. For additional program details and requirements visit.
An application should be started at least 60 days prior to the phased retirement start date. A completed application must be submitted to Campus Faculty Center at least 30 days prior to the start of the program who shall then submit this completed agreement to UAMS Human Resources for processing. Confirmation of acceptance in this program will be sent by UAMS Faculty Center to the faculty member, department chair, and dean of school.
If you have any questions regarding the process, please contact Katie Poe.
Should a faculty member be interested in applying for the Phased Retirement Program, they must:
- Consult with their department head/dean to determine and structure a reduced schedule that is acceptable to all parties
- An agreement must specify the faculty member’s schedule and time and effort expectations during the Phased Retirement
- The applicant must meet all of the program criteria including the following requirements:
- is a tenured faculty member; and shall be at least 62 and not older than 70 as of July 1 of the calendar year in which the faculty member begins the Phased Retirement Program
- is a Faculty Member in good standing
- is a compensated full-time (100% FTE) Faculty Member (number of hours worked defined by individual department)
- holds the academic rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, or Distinguished Professor at UAMS
- will have contributed a minimum of 10 years of continuousfull-time (100% FTE) service to UAMS in a faculty position by July 1 of the year in which phased retirement commences;
- Note: The FTE percentage may fluctuate during Phased Retirement, but may be no less than 50% and no more than 80%.
(to begin at least 60 days prior to the requested start date of the Phased Retirement period)
- Once an agreement is structured, the faculty member must complete the required application & agreement. This will be uploaded to the JFR system by the Department administrator via a “Phased Retirement” appointment action.
- The request must be signed by the following individuals:
- The faculty member
- The department chair
- Dean of College
- Once completed, the application shall be submitted to the UAMS Faculty Center who will check that the application is complete and shall submit the application to UAMS Human Resource at least 30 days prior to the start of the phased retirement period.
During the phased retirement period
- Once the initial written agreement has been approved, the duration of the Phased Retirement period cannot be lengthened. However, the participant can opt for an earlier retirement date and/or change the FTE percentage by mutual agreement between the participant and department head/dean. Any such modifications require review and approval by UAMS Human Resources.
- Likewise, if the need of the department changes to the extent that a modified phased retirement agreement is required, the
participant and the department head/dean shall consult each other.
- If a mutual agreement is reached to modify the schedule or change the faculty member’s workload and percentage FTE, a revised application form and appointment action must be created, submitted, and approved in JFR.