Promotion and Tenure Database:
- Access our Promotion and Tenure Database
- Most file types are accepted – PDFs are encouraged
- There is no need to submit a paper packet but ensure that you keep backup copies of all documents on your computer or external drive.
Letters of Recommendation:
- The Department Chair should solicit letters of recommendation for the candidate within the Promotion and Tenure system.
- Letters of recommendation and referee forms must be returned/completed via the P&T system.
- Every required LOR (internal and external) MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A COMPLETED REFEREE FORM. A referee form is required for a LOR to be considered.
- For Clinical Educators, Clinical Scientists, and Basic Scientists, all three (3) letters of recommendation must be written by faculty outside of UAMS.
- For Clinical Attendings being promoted to Associate Professor only, all three (3) letters of recommendation can be written by faculty inside UAMS.
- For Clinical Attendings being promoted to Professor, at least one (1) of your letters of recommendation must be from faculty outside UAMS.
- The person writing the recommendation should hold the same or higher academic rank than that being requested. Faculty requesting promotion to Associate Professor should request letters from Associate Professors or Professors. Faculty requesting promotion to Professor should request letters from full Professors (or Distinguished Professors).
- A minimum of three (3) letters are required and should be obtained from recognized national authorities who have not been involved in previous training or employment of the candidate. (See required referee form for additional exclusionary criteria for Required Letter of Recommendation authors.)
- If you are requesting promotion in a secondary appointment as well, you do NOT need additional letters of recommendation, just a letter from the Chair of your secondary department.
Number of Publications:
- For Basic Science, Clinical Science, and Clinical Educator requests for promotion to Associate Professor, upload five (5) of your most meritorious publications into the Publications folder of your electronic packet.
- For Basic Science, Clinical Science, and Clinical Educator requests for promotion to Professor, upload ten (10) of your most meritorious reprints (particularly those since your last promotion) into the publications folder of your electronic packet.
- Clinical Attendings are encouraged to submit scholarly publications at both the Professor and Associate Professor level although the Promotion and Tenure document does not stipulate how many.
Other basic tips:
- Do not overwhelm your reviewer with too many documents in each folder. It is recommended that each folder contain a maximum of 5-10 documents.
- Label your documents clearly before uploading them into the electronic database. This can serve as a sort of table of contents within the folders.
- Less is often more. When possible summarize your activities.